Some interesting observations this week:
- My stomach is too big, for my arms to reach past it and across the sink to the faucet to do dishes. Awesome excuse, right?! But really! I have to turn sideways and scrub, set-down brush, rinse. One-handed.
- My stomach is getting too big for me to hold a laptop on my lap and reach around it to type. iopqiropafeankfjeiowjrieow!!!!!
- For several months my stomach has been a complex road map of blue veins (Does this happen to everyone? Or is my skin more translucent?) Now my stomach has turned a bright, sunburned pink; which I think also has to do with blood flow.
- The babies dropped. I breathe so much easier. Less stomach kicks=less nausea. I am SO LUCKY!
- Pregnancy brain: Today I was standing in front of the fridge, holding the door open for several minutes trying to recall what I was going to pull out. Then I discovered my cell phone in the cheese drawer.
I had an doctor’s appointment two weeks ago for a non-stress test (NST.) This is the test where they hook up sensors/transducers to monitor each babes’ heartbeat and uterine contractions. They couldn’t find baby boy’s heartbeat for about 10 minutes. Of course, there’s the language/cultural barrier and no one said a word to me what was going on–just more nurses and techs kept coming in and pushing on my stomach with increased urgency. I worried for a moment or two but then recognized I could feel him moving around. Once they found it, they used a “stimulator” on him. I’m not quite sure what it was but it frightened the daylights out of both of us and drastically increased his heart rate, which seemed to please them.
PUPPPS. Several weeks ago I went to the doctor for intense itchiness. He diagnosed PUPPPS, a pregnancy-related thing that is completely harmless to the babies. At the time, I didn’t have any marks or rashes from it. Then a few days ago I woke up with a rash across my chest & neck, swollen eyelids and lips and tons of little sores on my stomach. (Don’t google-image PUPPP; it’s disgusting.) Anyway, despite the previous doctor’s appointment, I was worried and had no idea what it could be. I emailed my brother-in-law (who is like a walking encyclopedia of medicine) who told me what was going on and gave me lots of good advice.
The funny thing is, everything has been going SO WELL. It’s as if I made a mental list of wishes and every wish, one-by-one, was being answered. First, D bought fans and our nights have really cooled down. Being cooler means less edema and MUCH better, deeper sleep. Now that I’m not sweating constantly my face is clearing up. 🙂 The mosquitoes seemed to lose a taste for me. Yippee!! And although we’ve never asked for it, and heaven knows I can get up briefly to make food, we’ve had several people ring-and-run meals. (Taco Soup with BEANS and GROUND BEEF. A total luxury in Seoul. The food must be from a military family.) AND I’ve been feeling baby boy move a lot more. Plus, while on bed rest, I’ve had little-to-no back pain. And heartburn could be much worse. …In short, I guess I’m overdue for my pregnancy trial-by-fire and it looks like it’s going to be PUPPPS. The itching is making me quite insane, sleep-deprived and very irritable. Sometimes it has even made me want the babies to come earlier rather than later (…in waves, I know it’s wrong. I love my babies. I just itch like MAD!) I have to remind myself that the longer the babies cook, the better. And there are so many things I will miss about being pregnant.